Below are some tips, what can happen and after-care follow up we advise all of our clinic's Gastric Band patients, following a Gastric Banding Procedure.
Laparoscopic, or 'key-hole', surgery results in five small abdominal wounds:
- These are covered with water-proof dressings
- We suggest leaving the dressings intact for 7 days
- If at any time the dressings start to peel off, or you feel they need to be replaced with fresh dressings, gently remove and replace with a water-proof dressing - they can be purchased at a chemist
- After the 7 days, peel off the dressings gently, like you would a band-aid. This can be done in the shower if desired
- Leave the wounds open after removing the dressings, and note that the stitches will disolve
Contact your clinic if:
- You are worried
- Your wound feels hot
- Your would looks swollen
- You notice any oozing from your wound
After the dressing is removed:
- Make sure your shower is not too hot
- Pat dry and be gentle
- Leave open - no need for a band-aid or any other dressing
- After approximately 3 weeks, massage wounds with vitamin E creame or bio-oil and continue for 3 months to help minimise scarring
Remember, if you are concerned or unsure of anything, contact your clinic immeadiately.
Contents of this article are author’s own views and experience. Comments on this article should be made directly to the author.